If hard, rewarding work is calling you …
Join our team to help protect and preserve Virginia’s most vital resource. Our staff works hard to nurture the James, enjoy the James, and restore the river we love.
Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountains and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.John Lubbock
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT POSITION
Position Summary: The Director of Development is responsible for creating, implementing and managing all of JRA’s fundraising and donor relationship activities. Working with the CEO and the Board of Directors, the position will manage a portfolio of current and prospective donors and will be expected to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these individuals, corporations and foundations. The successful candidate will be expected to spend time meeting and communicating with key individuals and organizations, and identify potential partners whose interests align with JRA’s mission. The position will also be responsible for overseeing the management and execution of a proposed campaign effort, working in close conjunction with the CEO, board, volunteers and campaign counsel. The Director of Development will staff the Fund Development Committee of the Board of Directors and will report to the CEO and serve on the JRA management team along with the Director of Programs and Director of Operations and Events.
The successful applicant will have demonstrated ability to:
- Prepare a comprehensive annual plan for JRA’s development activities to support the short- and long-term philanthropic needs of the organization.
- Successfully manage a portfolio of donors and prospects (individuals, corporations and foundations) to meet revenue goals.
- Develop specific strategies to continually identify, cultivate, and solicit individuals and organizations capable of making major gifts to the organization.
- Develop and write fundraising proposals, working closely with the CEO and other members of the board and staff.
- Work with and supervise JRA’s development team including:
a. Communications Coordinator whose responsibilities include membership appeals, renewals and tracking
b. Grant Manager who leads grant proposal submissions and grant reporting
c. Web and Database Coordinator who manages JRA’s website, social media accounts and the constituent database system (a Saleforce derived program)
- Set goals and develop strategies to increase contributed income.
- Monitor status of revenue streams and adjusts workplan to address any changes from budget.
- Working with the Director of Operations and Events, plan, manage and implement key fundraising and cultivation events.
- Oversee and direct JRA’s marketing efforts including written and electronic materials describing the organization and its work.
- Ensure that accurate and thorough records are maintained in the database, including contact reports, giving history, biographical data, etc.
- Support CEO with other duties as assigned to advance the understanding, cause, mission and the support of JRA.
The successful applicant will have the following qualifications:
- At least 5 years of leadership experience and documented success in fundraising and development.
- Experience working with major donors and board members.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills used with a variety of constituencies.
- Computer skills, particularly in word processing and record-keeping (Microsoft Word and Excel), fund raising software (Salesforce based database) and familiar with internet communication and search tools.
- Be able to take initiative and work independently, with attention to detail and ability to work autonomously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Be able to think strategically and creatively about opportunities to raise funds, manage competing priorities, and work well with colleagues.
- Demonstrate a commitment to environmental and conservation issues, especially as related to the James River.
Be willing to travel throughout James River watershed to meet with donors.
JRA offers a dynamic and flexible work environment, including a generous paid time off policy, health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance, and a matching program for tax-deferred retirement savings. Salary will be commensurate with experience. JRA is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter with salary history by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
James River Association
Attn: Development Director Search
211 Rocketts Way, Suite 200
Richmond, VA 23231
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until filled, but interviews will be scheduled with selected applicants starting October 22, 2018.